How To Become A Lawyer In Texas
s it your dream to practice law in the state of Texas? We have all the information for you on this very page. No more scouring the internet for bits and pieces of info.
It is required that an individual looking to become a lawyer in the state of Texas graduate from high school. 4 years of college is required and individuals need to obtain their bachelors of science or bachelors of arts degree from a four year university. No specific pre law school classes are required or even suggested to increase your chances of getting accepted into a specific Texas law school. It has been recommended that you take a speech class as this can help when partaking in law school curriculum.
To be eligible for admission or reinstatement as a licensed attorney in Texas, the Applicant shall:
- comply with all applicable requirements of these Rules;
- be at least eighteen (18) years of age;
- be of present good moral character and fitness;
- have completed the law study required under these Rules, unless specifically exempted under the terms of Rule XIII;
- qualify under one of the following categories:
(A) be a United States citizen;
(B) be a United States National;
(C) be an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence;
(D) be an alien otherwise authorized to work lawfully in the United States;
- have satisfactorily completed the Texas Bar Examination, unless exempted from the Bar Examination under Rule XIII (but in no event shall an Applicant for reinstatement be so exempted);
- have satisfactorily completed the Multistate Professional Responsibility Examination;
- be willing to take the oath required of attorneys in Texas;
- pay the appropriate licensing fee to the Clerk of Supreme Court of Texas; and
enroll in the State Bar of Texas by filing an enrollment form and paying the appropriate fees and assessments due within the time specified in Article III, Sec. 2(A) of the State Bar Rules.
Getting Accepted Into a Texas Law School.
Your grade point average in college and scores on the LSAT are the two major determining factors for admission to most law schools.
Popular Law Schools In The State Of Texas.
Below is a list to law schools in California actively accepting applications each year.
University of Texas School of Law
727 East Dean Keeton Street, Austin 78705
Phone: (512) 471-7726
Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law
3300 University Blvd., Dallas 75205
Phone: (214) 768-2621
Texas Wesleyan University School of Law
1515 Commerce Street, Fort Worth 76102
Phone: (817) 212-4000
South Texas College of Law
1303 San Jacinto Street, Houston 77002
Phone: (713) 659-8040
Texas Southern University – Thurgood Marshall School of Law
3100 Cleburne St., Houston 77004
Phone: (713) 313-4455
University of Houston Law Center
100 Law Center, Houston 77204
Phone: (713) 743-2100
Texas Tech University School of Law
1802 Hartford Avenue, Lubbock 79409
Phone: (806) 742-3990
St. Mary’s University School of Law
One Camino Santa Maria, San Antonio 78228-8503
Phone: (210) 436-3011
Baylor Law School
One Bear Place, Waco 76798
Phone: (254) 710-1911
Why Is Law School In Texas & The Bar Exam Necessary?
Without a license to practice law in Illinois, a person cannot give legal advice, represent persons in court, or handle many other legal matters.